Finding a reputable exterior lighting contractor is not as easy as just opening up the phone book. When hiring an exterior lighting contractor, there are a few steps a homeowner should take. By taking these steps, you will be sure to have a reputable and qualified exterior lighting contractor to complete your home project.
- Ask questions. Have the exterior lighting contractor come to your home. Never take a bid or ask questions over the phone. An exterior lighting contractor needs to actually see what type of areas in your outdoor space that you want lighting to be installed to offer advice and suggestions.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed in your state. Having a state license will let you know this contractor is serious about their trade and profession.
- The contractor should have proper insurance and provide proof of the insurance upon your request. This will keep you and your property safe from all accidents and responsibility.
- Get at least three different bids on your landscape lighting. This will allow you to see if all the contractors are close in price and different opinions that each contractor can give you. Don’t decide on a contractor due to price. The old saying, ”You get what you pay for” will be true with your lighting. The lowest price won’t always be the best work performed.
- Ask the contractor for references and call those references. If the references all tell you what a wonderful job the contractor has done for them, then this is a good sign.
- Ask the contractor about low-voltage lighting. Any landscape lighting expert will know exactly what this means, but if the contractor does not, then do not work with that contractor.
- You can ask your friends, family, and coworkers for their contractor. These people all know you and they will give you an honest review of a contractor. Usually, a great and honest contractor has performed work around your town.
There are reputable exterior lighting contractors available, but you have to do a bit of research to find one. You can’t just open your phone book and call the first name you see. If you want a reputable contractor, then you must make a few phone calls and spend a little of your time to find the best one for you.
To learn more on Virginia Outdoor Lighting, click here!